Minutes of Committee Meeting
Tuesday 12th October 2021
1. Note /minute taker
2. Previous minutes approval
3. Garrison House and grounds
4. Public Toilets
Due to coronavirus restrictions this meeting was held via ZOOM.
Attendees: DF / DS / DW / DL & JW
1. Note minute taker
David Williamson offered to be note /minute taker for meeting
2. Previous meeting Minutes
Minutes of meeting held 28.9.21 Approved by DL and Seconded by: SD
3a) Garrison House Café
The Board’s proposal was drafted and will be put to Lynne & Kenny on 13.10.21. Further discussions will then take place.
The Café informed JW that they are not able to lease the ‘old Craft Shop’ unit for the whole of 2022, but should the space be available for the spring/summer, they would appreciate the Board considering a short let for high season.
JW informed the Board that she has received a tentative enquiry relating to the lease of this unit but further discussions would be required, if the enquirer wishes to pursue.
JW also informed the Board that as of 24th October 2021 the Café would be closed on Sundays.
b) RAMP ACCESS BY ASTRO TURF
NAC have very kindly offered to create a ramp at the entrance off Bute Terrace/College Street when they are carrying out roadworks on the island, expected 2022.
c) MCMF 2022
JW presented Gavin & Christine Chittick’s proposal in relation to the layout and space required etc. for next year’s event. General discussion took place and feedback will be provided.
d) LIVE MUSIC IN SUNKEN GARDEN
An enquiry was received by e-mail regarding the possibility of ‘live music’ in the Sunken Garden.
The Board felt that live music would not be in keeping with what the Sunken Garden offers our community and visitors. A tranquil location to enjoy the rose garden in all its glory. Also, the garden layout does not lend itself space-wise to an area where crowds may gather, around the pond areas. JW to make contact and explain the Board’s decision.
e) GARRISON HOUSE OPEN SPACE AND GLASS ROOM
JW put to the Board a proposal, to make use of wall space in the areas mentioned above for the creation of ‘frames’ for the purpose of displaying artwork, initially of the Cumbraes and involving local artists, photographers, extending to mainland artists going forward. The purpose being to offer our community and visitors a changing, visual display whilst also allowing artist the opportunity to generate income by displaying their works.
The Board were happy for JW to look into this further and NAC offered their support in relation to the installation of the frames and supporting the development of an exhibition area.
A Teams meeting took place with staff from NAC’s Heritage & Culture and Library & Information staff in relation to Garrison House taking over the booking system for the Glass Room going forward. Island groups to be contacted by NAC as to whether they will be returning to use this facility once Covid-19 restrictions allow. This matter to be discussed further at that point.
JW raised the matter of staffing as the end of Better Green Funding approached. The Garrison Motorhome Site is proving very popular and as our community makes use, once again, of Garrison House and grounds more frequently now that restrictions have eased and visitor numbers, for the time of year, are good. JW asked the Board to consider keeping our newest staff member in post – hours based on seasonal demands. Board agreed and JW to discuss with staff member.
4) FINTRY BAY PUBLIC TOILET BLOCK
JW has spoken with the Clydebank based company mentioned at September’s meeting and they have said they can help us with the issue of water supply to the toilet block and will arrange a site visit. It may be in the new year. Fintry Bay Tea Room owners to be kept in the loop once information/updates are available.
THERE BEING NO FURTHER BUSINESS, THE MEETING CLOSED AT 8.50PM