@2019 Cumbrae Community Development Company

designed & published by CK Publishing

 

Board minutes – 18th January 2016

 

1. Present

Stephen Dobbin; Christine McCulloch; Davy Stevenson, Graeme Schreiber, Alan Hill, Bob Campbell, Kelly Norton and CEO, Michael Bertram

 

2. Apologies

None.

 

3. Agenda confirmed  

  1. Present

  2. Apologies

  3. Minutes of last meeting

  4. Matter arising

  5. Annual General Meeting

  6. Financial report

  7. CEO report

  8. AOCB

  9. DONM

  10.  

Minutes of last meeting

Proposed – Bob Campbell.

Seconded – Christine McCulloch.

 

4. Matters arising

 

4.1 CEO advised that he believed that all matters were covered in his report. 

 

Chairperson advised that this was correct.  

 

 

5. Annual General Meeting

 

CEO advised that he believed the AGM had gone well, and invited feedback from the Board of Directors.

 

Chairperson advised that this was correct; and inquired if we had opportunity to discuss changes with the Company Secretary to the company’s Articles of Association.

 

CEO stated that he had conducted research with OSCR and others similar community development associations. He advised that he had provided this information to the Company Secretary; who had been unable to attend to these matters due to annual leave and work pressures in Glasgow.

 

Discussion took place around the functions of the Directors and whether we would be better placed to co-opt two new directors until such time as the changes could be effected and placed before the membership.

 

Resolution 1: CEO to continue to work with the Company Secretary to amend the company’s Articles of Association.

 

 

6. Financial Report

 

Chairperson presented the December’s financial statements.

 

Discussion took place around the intercompany loan to Garrison House, and Chair advised that this had now been re-paid to CCDC.

 

Resolution 2: It was agreed to adopt December’s financials. 

 

 

7. CEO Report

 

The CEO stated that main issues this month were the Pharmacy application, Millport Moorings and working with North Ayrshire Council on the Cumbrae Economic Development Plan; including the future of the Town Hall and several funding applications, which would be covered in the CEO report. 

The Chairperson advised the CEO to proceed with the items which required discussion in the CEO’s report.

CEO advised the Board Directors that following on from the Board meeting in November (2015) that he had met with Dr Audrey Sutton and Mr. Alasdair Laurenson and Mr. Doug Wheeler (planning consultant) to discuss the future of the Town Hall.

 

CEO stated that as discussed in his report; CCDC would have a key role to perform in the proposed future development plans for the island, but that we were not afforded as copy of the research paper on the future of the Town Hall.     

 

Discussion took place around the format of the meeting; and outcomes achieved in this meeting.

CEO advised that his position, which could be corroborated by Director Bob Campbell, that we had asked Mr. Doug Wheeler to summarise the report and highlight the changes and recommendations made to council for CCDC benefit. 

 

CEO stated that in his professional position, he could not advise the Board to take on this asset, as he felt that the Town Hall would ever break even as there were far too many physical constraints to make the place work as a functional community hall.

 

The Chairperson advised the Board that he shared the CEO’s concerns, and that the CEO in his next meeting must raise our collective concerns that we are not handed unfunded mandates for future development plans for the island.

 

Further discussion took place around the formal nature of the meeting; and council responses to the CEO findings that this project would be unattractive to CCDC.

 

CEO stated that he hoped that Cllr Alan Hill, could advise on certain interventions to assist CCDC take a more visible and constructive role, to enable our concerns raised in November board meeting about the ongoing support offered by council. 

 

Resolution 3: It was agreed to that the CEO would provide Cllr Hill with detailed report of our concerns. 

 

CEO advised that he had communicated the Board’s position for a new multi-purpose new facility; and that we sought council approval for this venture.

Discussion took place around the project, and whether CCDC should provide any seed capital at this stage for the pre-feasibility studies. 

 

The Chairperson advised the CEO to proceed to try and source external funding for this stage of the project.

 

Further discussion took place around the possible sources of funding for a project of this nature.

 

Resolution 3: It was agreed to that the CEO would source funding for the pre-feasibility studies. 

 

CEO continued to provide feedback on the Moorings project. He advised that this project had suffered significant slippages, due to the process and engagement being hampered by staff on extended sick leave.

Director Bob Campbell agreed with the CEO, and added that once again our impressions were that even though this project was twinned with Arran their project was up and running, and ours still had loads of holes in the process; due to lack of focus on the needs of Cumbrae. 

 

Discussion took place around the items still outstanding.

 

Bob Campbell continued to add that we had asked over a four month period for the contact details of the harbour master without success, and that after five months we had secured a lease over the weighbridge, setup our committee and agreed on its constitution, and in that time we still could not get tap fixed on the pier.

 

Further discussion took place around the committee and how CCDC looked to this new committee on the island.

 

CEO advised that we simply could not meet as we had no concrete information to disseminate. 

 

Bob Campbell added that we had requested some ‘input’ into the marketing and advertising of the new moorings and fees involved, and we were informed that the information would be circulated at the London Boat Show.

 

CEO stated that the London Boat Show; was now on at the Excel Centre; and we were unaware if our additional sailings itineraries were included in this literature.

 

Cllr Alan Hill asked if the CEO could provide him also with more details on this project, and where the delays were coming from, so that he could take this up with the officials concerned.

 

CEO stated that he was grateful for Cllr Hill’s offer of support.

 

The Chairperson advised the CEO to proceed to the Pharmacy Application.

 

CEO stated that we had now been set a formal date for the hearing; of the 4th of February 2016 in Largs.

 

Discussion took place around the process and if there were any items still outstanding.

 

CEO advised that we had completed our process, namely securing a senior superintendent and shop fitting designs. CEO added that the pharmacist would be visiting Millport on Thursday for a site visit with the CEO.

 

Further discussion took place around the site visit from the NHS team.

 

CEO advised the Board that NHS committee would conduct a suite inspection prior to the hearing; and that CCDC was able to take only one person as representative.

 

Further discussion took place around who would be best positioned to support the CEO.

 

Resolution 4: It was agreed to that the Mrs Jean Kerr would join the CEO in her capacity as Chairperson of the PRG.

 

The Chairperson thanked CEO for the work of the pharmacy and asked the CEO to proceed to the expression of interest for the lease over the Garrison House café. The CEO advised that he has been approached to determine if CCDC would consider leasing the space to a third party operator.

 

CEO added that GHCL have discussed the issue and the proposal was deemed too low; but that the Chair wished for the matter to be discussed by the full board of CCDC.

 

Discussion took place around the return on invest provided by the café to GHCL and CCDC.

 

The Chairperson advised that Garrison House received a monthly rental of £1,000 per month, as well as a healthy contribution to CCDC; some years it was better than others and this year’s we anticipated at least a £8,000 contribution.

 

Further discussion took place around whether the café could still serve the community if it were in private hands.

 

The Chairperson advised that this was the discussion that he wanted the board to consider. 

 

Further discussion took place around the financial offer on the table, and it was agreed that the CEO should see if the party concerned could improve their offer; and if it was not improved them there was to be no further discussion in the matter. 

 

Resolution 4: It was agreed to that the CEO would engage further, to see if an improved offer was forthcoming. If so, this would be put back to the GHCL for consideration.

 

CEO advised that our consultant Mr Kevin Brown; who was working on the pond redevelopment project has expressed an interest to develop the grounds master plan. CEO added that Council had in the last year expressed a desire to co-fund this work, but the CEO was unsuccessful in finding a funder to fund the other 50% of the work.

Discussion took place around the costs of the project, and if Mr. Brown could carry out the works within the existing council budget allocation.

 

Resolution 5: It was agreed to that the CEO would engage further with Mr Kevin Brown and Council, to ascertain if these works could be conducted using only council’s budget.   

CEO advised that these were all the items that he wished to discuss.

 

 

8. AOCB

The Chairperson asked if there was any other company business to discuss.

 

Bob Campbell asked if the Board would consider a proposal to utilise the West Bay toilets for visiting yachtsmen.

Discussion took place around the existing users and football club games.

Bob Campbell asked if the football team had no objections, would this suggestion meet with the board’s approval.

Further discussion took place around the offer to tie into the use of the showers with the new moorings project.

The Chairperson asked if everyone was happy to wait the findings of the discussions with the exiting users, and this was agreed.

Resolution 6: It was agreed that Bob Campbell would engage on behalf of CCDC on this initiative.

 

8. DONM – 7th March 2015. 

Cumbrae Community Development Company logo

...working for and with the people of the Island of Great Cumbrae